SEO or Search Engine Optimisation (Google Search) is one of the most important sources of leads for small businesses, is increasing each year and becoming more competitive across all industries. If you own a business ask yourself these questions;
Do you know what keywords people type into Google to find your business?
Has your website been optimised for SEO?
Do you have a Google Business Page?
Has your website sitemap been submitted to Google?
If you answered no to any of the above questions, it is worthwhile to make sure you complete these steps to improve your appearance on Google and other search engines.
Website blogs are now an important part of SEO and help people to find your business when searching on Google through the use of long tail keywords (explained below). One of Google’s most important ranking factors is content marketing, that is creating new content and editing current content on your website on an ongoing basis.
We (Moxie Marketing) have explained the most important steps to follow when putting together a blog for your website below.
1. Research long tail keywords which are popular amongst your target audience (high
volume keywords). Focus on one or two long tail keywords to come up with your
blog topic. This will mean that your blog reaches a larger audience on Google. In
order to research for these long tail keywords if you don’t have a paid keyword tool
(Ahrefs for example) please use Google Keyword Planner which is a free tool.
2. Make sure you include these keywords in the following places;
a) Title Tag (explained further below) must contain the keyword/s
b) Mention the keyword throughout the body and headers of the blog, but not more than about
4 to 5 times, as otherwise it is termed ‘keyword stuffing’ by Google. Also, the keyword must be
mentioned in the natural flow of the article
c) Include the keyword in your URL – for example https://www.localliving.com.au/balmain/best-
d) Meta description – mention the keyword in the meta description so the audience is clear
about the topic of the blog. Google does not use the content of meta description for rankings.
3. SEO Title Tag – This is very important to get right, and you must include at the front of the SEO
title (front loading), and the entire length of the title tag must not be more than 60 characters. For
example – Best SEO Freelancer | SEO Marketing | Moxie Marketing
4. Meta Description – is a description mentioned underneath your title tag. The aim of the meta
description is to convince the audience to read your blog. It should be no more than 120 characters
5. Naming of Image – always make sure you save the image you will upload to the blog article as a
keyword rather than just blog2.jpg for example.
6. Purchase of Image – Make sure your image has been taken purchased off an online stock site or is an original image that you have taken.
7. Alt Tags – Be sure to populate the alt with the keyword of the image, this will help Google
recognise what your image is related too.
8. Linking internally and externally – Linking to other blog’s on the site with content that may be
relevant to your current blog. This will generally keep readers on your website and reduce the
‘bounce rate’. If you do mention another website as a source of information or are quoting statistics
Please put a link that reference the content or the person you are speaking about. Links to other
website are always advantageous for SEO.
9. Length of Blog – your blog should be a minimum of 300 words, otherwise Google will classify it as
‘thin content’. A long blog will usually result in a higher number of visitors to your website to read
the article and a higher ranking for that keyword used in the blog by Google. Anything over 1000
words is brilliant!
If you need any assistance with SEO (search engine optimisation) for your business please do not hesitate to contact Nicole from Moxie Marketing (also owner of Balmain Living) at email@example.com